Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Blacks Embrace "One Drop Rule" The Most

I know I have been delinquent with my posts this last month but it has been a really busy time for the family and business. Trip to Texas, holiday stress, etc. So forgive my infrequency. I'm endeavoring to be better.

I came across this interesting article in The Washington Post and the subsequent storm brewing over it. I have written before that Barack Obama presents a great opportunity for us to move forward on the issue of Mixed ethnicity people. And I have also written extensively about the fact that I hate that people so easily comply with the racist "one drop rule," none more so than black people themselves. Well read the article for a good piece about this whole issue. I found the article on the Jack And Jill Politics blog where the writer was clearly bothered by the idea that there was something wrong in simply accepting the notion that Obama is the first "black" President. The opinion of the writer on "Jack and Jill" is the type of response I think we can expect from many in the black community who think making issue of Obama being Mixed or "bi-racial" is a slap at black people. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is simply more accurate. President-elect Obama is in fact 50% white. Though many do not want to pay attention to this reality, that is not our fault for pointing out the reality. And I, for one, refuse to accept the racist notion that we should ignore his 50% white make-up and act like he is all black.

But in the end, this discussion is part of the mess we'll have to go through to get to where we need to be.

No comments: