Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Beauty of So Many Cultures

I was doing some people watching the other day at the mall here in Burbank and once again was struck by the wonderful mixture of cultures that we have here. It reminds me that we made the right choice of where to raise our children. And yet I still wonder if in a way they are getting a warped sense of what the rest of the country and world is like when it comes to the mixing of cultures in one area. Will they have a hard time if they decide at some point to move to an area or city that is more dominated by one culture? Will they then have a rude awakening?

Ultimately, I know I can't worry about all that. All we can do as parents, no matter where we live, is try to give our kids a strong sense of who they are, and a pride in their cultures. And at the same time I hope we are giving them a strong sense of appreciation for all the other cultures that exist around them. In that way, I hope they will always choose to live in an area with this kind of mixture because they too will come to love seeing so many people of so many hues and languages and experiences. Multiculturalism is such a beautiful thing.

3 comments:

Zen said...

Multiculturalism is a beautiful thing! One of the nice things about living here in CA is our ethnic mix. It always feels like another world when outside of here (CA).

BTW my eldest son has the same family mix, w/kids as you. My grand-kids speak English and Spanish.

My ONE LOVE Life said...

Thanks so much for your positive vibes. I enjoy reading your blog and share your views. It feels good to know you are out there. I am going to put a link to yours from mine. All the best, Elizabeth

Earnest said...

Thanks for your comments guys. I know all of us live in California (Elizabeth I checked your site out - way cool) and we may get spoiled a bit. Though as I know you know, we have our share of racists and ignorant people as well. I certainly don't want to give others the impression that I think we have it perfect here. What we do have in abundance is the opportunity to see and get to know so many cultures and for that I am so so thankful.