Monday, June 29, 2009

Forever A Fan of Michael Jackson


Wow I’m still in a state of shock about Michael Jackson passing away. It just doesn’t feel real. I was, no I am, one of his biggest fans and supporters. There will never be another entertainer like Michael, with that kind of longevity and fan base worldwide. What a loss. We all have to go sometime, but this was definitely too soon for him.

I still remember how cool that he sang proudly the lyrics “if you wanna be my baby, it doesn’t matter if you’re black or white.” That was great. That song and its lyrics didn’t change the world, but coming from someone as big as him, it certainly put forth the concept of inter-ethnic harmony and love in a big way.

Of course there was the irony of such words coming from a guy who seemed to want to deny his own ethnicity and become another. But I don’t really care about that. Michael had issues no doubt. Don’t we all. In the end, he was a flawed human but a great one no less. What he gave to the world was a supreme gift, and music, the world for that matter, will not be the same without him.

The irony for me was that as a kid I was so connected to Michael partly because I was his mirror image (when he was a kid with the afro and brown skin). Literally everywhere I went, strangers would stop me and my parents and say how much I looked like Michael Jackson. So I felt a special connection. How odd then that he died on my birthday, June 25.

I guess we will continue to be connected, because that date will now have even more meaning to me.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

There will never be another MJ...Noone will ever be able to accomplish what he has in his career.I remember as a kid sitting on the floor in front of the tv just totally engulfed in his performance. It's a feeling I haven't felt since...Like you knew you were watching history being made.

Unfortunately as he grew older, the more odd he became. I stopped being a fan when all the allegations started. But I'll always have my memories of putting on the "Off The Wall" LP and sitting in front of the speakers singing along. That was my first album I ever bought (with birthday money). RIP MJ...

Unknown said...

BTW...Happy belated birthday :)

♔Jaimie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
♔Jaimie said...

I love michael, i made a post about him on my makeup blog. But I just made a post regarding my mixed heritage and i thought you'd be interested. I always like reading about your family the mixed experience.
http://tasteofapoisonparadise.blogspot.com/2009/06/im-mixed-but-im-black.html

Earnest said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes Sqeaksdaddy. I did have a good day even with the news of Michael. And I agree with you there will never be somebody quite like him.

Jaimie, I checked out your posts. That's really interesting about your mix. Wow. And we might be related. I'm partially from Louisiana and I'm part Cherokee.

Thanks for sharing.